If you’ve finally decided to quit smoking, you can count on a healthier body and mind. But just because you’ve made this decision doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy. In fact, you may struggle along the way. Here are several healthy snacks to keep your mouth and hands busy during this difficult time.
- Air-popped popcorn or pretzels
- Carrot sticks, celery or any kind of raw, crunchy vegetable
- Finger foods such as raisins
- Hard candy
- Low-calorie beverages such as water or flavored water
- Sugar-free lollipops
- Sugarless gum
- Sunflower seeds or pistachios
If you still need something else, you can try chewing on a straw, sucking on a cinnamon stick or having a toothpick to put in your mouth. You’ll still have cravings, but hopefully you can find something that may lessen them over time. Remember, you have to make the decision every day to be smoke-free for a healthier you!
For more support, learn about the free six-week Freedom from Smoking program at Riverview Health.