On May 10, 1909, Hamilton County’s first hospital opened for business. Dr. Samuel Harrell, the son of a Shelby County farmer, chose the city of Noblesville, Indiana, to build a hospital in which he and his brother, Dr. Madison Harrell, could practice medicine. The three-story Harrell Hospital and Sanatorium was located on Ninth Street one-half block north of downtown Noblesville.
In 1914, Harrell Hospital and Sanatorium was sold to Hamilton County and renamed Hamilton County Hospital. In 1944, to meet the health needs of a growing population, hospital trustees purchased land west of Noblesville from Mr. Charles Swain. The pioneer statesmen had lived on this site, reportedly named Federal Hill.
Construction of a new hospital began in 1949. On May 12, 1951, the new hospital opened. Shortly thereafter, in 1952, the hospital was renamed Riverview Hospital as an homage to its location along the banks of the White River.
Throughout the years, Riverview Hospital continued to expand, with additions and improvements made to the main hospital campus, plus the addition of a wide range of specialties, technologies and services. In April 2014, Riverview Hospital was officially renamed Riverview Health and continues to serve the local community as a full-service, 156-bed hospital. Riverview Health Physicians is part of this growing network, with 25 primary, immediate and specialty care facilities located throughout Hamilton County.